At pastry school we prepared everything in small batches and it basically only mattered to yourself if you prepared something that did not work out.
Once I started my first job in pastry reality kicked in. I needed to make a salted caramel sauce for their ice cream parlor on the base of 12kg! of sugar and my colleague told me to also use these left over sugar cubes.
When cooking sugar it is important to remove sugar crystals that are attached to the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush, because by falling back into the syrup they could make the syrup crystallize.
When I prepared my pastry brush to do so my colleague was obviously very amused…after years of experience she did not need one anymore.
Well, we must learn to walk before we can run, so this post is going to teach you how to make salted caramel sauce from scratch.
Salted Caramel Sauce
|Tools||Digital scale | Micro scale | Heat proof spatula|
- 360 g Whipping Cream
- 5 g Vanilla Sugar
- 486 g sugar
- 168 g Glucose
- 84 g butter
- 0.8 g fleur de sel
- Preparation- Scale sugar and glucose into a saucepan.- Add just enough water to moisten all sugar.- Bring the cream to boil in another saucepan. Put aside, cover.
- Boil the sugars- Bring the sugars to a boil on medium heat.
- Note: Remove any sugar crystals from the side of the pan with a moistened pastry brush to avoid the syrup to crystallize.
- Cook the caramel- Cook the sugars to a caramel.
- Note: To verify the color of the caramel, let it run down the spatula in front of a light surface. The caramel is ready when it is of amber color and starts to smoke.If the sugars are not cooked long enough the caramel will be too sweet. If the caramel gets cooked too long it will be bitter.
- Deglaze- Remove the caramel from the heat.- Add the butter bit by bit to the caramel stirring constantly.
- Note: Because of the difference in temperature of butter and caramel, the sauce will boil up quickly when adding the butter. Be very careful of the steam when adding the butter!To avoid lumps of caramel being formed one part of the butter has to first be fully incorporated, before the next part can be added.
- Finish- Add the cream bit by bit stirring constantly.
- - Add the salt.
- Voilà!Did you like this recipe? Please let us know in the comment section below if you have any suggestions!